< Back to search results 5 bedroom Detached house for sale in Main Street, Grendon Underwood
The house was built in 1874 under the instruction of the Pigott family as a ‘gentlemans hunting box’. In December of 1911 the Aylesbury Board of Guardians took on a lease and set up a children’s home which removed children from the old workhouse in Aylesbury to provide them with a less arduous start in life. At this point the house was intended to accommodate 21 children under the care of Mrs Marshall the foster mother and for much of its existence it actually sheltered around 20.
In 1920 the Grendon Estate sold off 45 lots, The Grove being one and the property went into private ownership.
Set within the walls are several badges and emblems associated with the Pigott family.
The Grove is a lovely village house set back off Main Street with gardens, paddock and picturesque copse totalling in excess of 5 acres. The current owners have carried out a mini refurbishment of the property updating the decoration of the interior, rewiring the electrics and installing new heating boilers. The house dates from the mid Victorian era and has many characteristics from that time. The interior is very elegant with well proportioned rooms, tall ceilings, high skirting boards and picture windows allowing lots of natural light. The elevations are local Doddershall brick beneath clay tiles and the windows are double glazed and sash style in keeping with its origins.
At the front of The Grove are two handsome reception rooms, both having a dual aspect and bay windows with window seats, each also with the sliding shutters and one room sporting an enclosed fireplace. The kitchen/breakfast room is fitted with wooden units, leaded display cabinets and laminated work surfaces incorporating a double sink. Integrated are a dishwasher and fridge, built in ‘Siemens’ ceramic hob and also an integrated oven and grill. The formal dining room has a disused fireplace and substantial storage closet. The only beam visible in the property is in the sitting room and it is marked with cuts and nicks, this room was the old milking parlour and at the end wall is exposed brickwork and a woodburning stove set on a stone hearth. From here the conservatory looks over and has doors out to a patio, block paved and with a pond. Off the hall is a cloakroom, a pantry, and off the kitchen a boiler room and utility area with another toilet.
The landing snakes round in an L shape, it contains a walk in airing cupboard and at the top of the stairs is a room with a wc and wash basin. Across the front are two dual aspect double bedrooms, one with wardrobes, and then two further double rooms and a single that has a playroom adjacent with under eaves space. The front bedrooms are served by a shower room and the rear bedrooms a bathroom. All the bedrooms have television points.
Nb: There is a substantial loft area which has floorboards, a light, and it has been insulated.
Lawns can be found to the east and west of the residence and leading up to the garaging is a tarmac driveway with parking bays by the entrance.
The garage block is a more modern addition, built of brick and tiles it has an up and over door, concrete floor, power and lighting. There are personal doors to outside and the office which is connected to services and has a storage heater, kitchenette and toilet.
The Old Stables is a brick and clay tile building and some of it has a loft. At the nearest end is a workshop (former tack room), then a storage room and three stables, the floors a mix of concrete, brick and cobbles.
The bulk of the land is a level grass field, separating it and the garden there stands a small beautiful orchard and copse consisting of a variety of mature trees and a natural pond.
Services Mains water, drainage and the vendor informs us the electricity is 3 phase. The heating is an electric system.